Saturday, December 9, 2023

December/January Pick: Undercooked by Dan Adhoot

Welcome to the holiday season at Cook the Books.   I'm hosting the December/January round.  It never occurred to me to pick a holiday themed book.   I guess I should have considered some holiday classics or a holiday cookbook.  Instead I selected Undercooked: How I Let Food Become My Life Navigator and How Maybe That's a Dumb Way to Live by Dan Ahdoot (March 2023).   




I chose Undercooked after listening to the “Eating with Funny People” episode of Splendid Table where comedian Dan Ahdoot and his new book were featured. Undercooked is a compilation of essays regarding his connection with food and his family and his relationships.

From the publisher: Despite an impressive résumé as an actor and writer, Dan Ahdoot realized that food has been the through line in the most important moments of his life. Growing up as a middle child, Ahdoot struggled to find his place in the family until he and his father discovered their shared love for la gourmandise. But when the tragic death of his brother pushed his parents to strengthen their Jewish faith and adopt a strictly kosher diet, Ahdoot and his father lost that savored connection.

To fill the absence left by his brother and father, Ahdoot began to obsess over food and make it central in all his relationships. This, he admits, is probably crazy, but it makes for good stories. From breaking up with girlfriends over dietary restrictions, to hunting just off the Long Island Expressway, to savoring his grandmother’s magical food that was his only tactile connection to his family’s home country of Iran, to jetting off to Italy to dine at the one of the world’s best restaurants, only to send the risotto back, Ahdoot’s droll observations on his unconventional adventures bring an absurdly funny yet heartfelt look at what happens when you let your stomach be your guide.


I hope you enjoy.  There is a lot of humor in this book (along with the sadness mentioned above in the publisher's blurb).   I've only read the sample version on my Kindle but I can't wait to pick it back up.

Debra, Eliot's Eats

Deadline for contributing your post is Wednesday, January 31, 2024.  Just comment below with your link.  

9 comments:

Simona Carini said...

I just started listening to the audio book. This is the first time I listen to an audio book read by the author: it's interesting (and in this case, a necessity, I think). Thank you for hosting, Debra :)

Camilla Mann said...

I loved this book so much, Debra. Thanks for picking it. My post is live. https://www.culinarycam.com/post/undercooked-book

Amy said...

Thanks for hosting! Here's my link: https://www.amyscookingadventures.com/2024/01/crispy-lavash-with-havarti.html

Claudia said...

An enjoyable read, and my post is now up! http://honeyfromrock.blogspot.com/2024/01/undercooked-persian-lamb-stew.html

Simona Carini said...

Here is my contribution: https://www.pulcetta.com/2024/01/recipe-spinach-pie-pine-nuts-raisins.html
Thank you so much for hosting, Debra :)

Delaware Girl Eats said...

I've just posted my attempt at Italian Risotto with mushrooms and peas. Great winter food.... cathy


http://tinyurl.com/mjxr5yk8

Debra Eliotseats said...

I just posted my risotto as well. Round Up to be posted late this week. Thanks to all for participating.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I just posted. Cheated, but posted.
https://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/2024/01/persian-adassi-lentil-stew-not-really.html

Debra Eliotseats said...

Post will be up in a few minutes. Thanks to all that participated. It was some really delicious food this round!