Sunday, October 4, 2020

October/November selection: The Secret, Book and Scone Society

The novel The Secret, Book and Scone Society by Ellery Adams (October 2017) caught my attention first because of the words "book" and "scone" in the title (aren't they perfect together, a book in one hand and a scone in the other?),  then because it revolves around a bookstore, and finally, because it is a mystery.



The bookstore's owner, Nora, having once been healed by books, has chosen to do the same to other people. But healed from what? (I cannot say: it's part of the mystery)

Besides Nora, the society of the title includes three other women, quite different from each other, each with a secret to share, a story to tell. One of them is a baker with a special gift (which you will find out about when you read the novel). 

Miracle Springs, North Carolina, is a place of healing. Strangers flock here hoping the natural hot springs, five-star cuisine, and renowned spa can cure their ills. If none of that works, they often find their way to Miracle Books, where, over a fresh-baked “comfort” scone from the Gingerbread House bakery, they exchange their stories with owner Nora Pennington in return for a carefully chosen book. That’s Nora’s special talent—prescribing the perfect novel to ease a person’s deepest pain and lighten their heaviest burden.
The novel is therefore a mystery on more than one level: there is a murder to be solved, but there are also the mysteries of the women's past, which are slowly revealed, just as the plot that led to the murder is also slowly revealed. 

There are no recipes in the book, but food and hot drinks play an important role in it and I hope the story will inspire you.  


Deadline for contributing your post: Monday, November 30, 2020.

Leave a comment below with a link to your post or email me at simosite AT mac DOT com.

Remember that anyone can participate in Cook the Books: simply pick up a copy of the selection from your local bookstore or library, take inspiration from said reading, cook and post the inspired dish. We look forward to having you read and cook along with us in this selection period and beyond. New participants are always welcome. (Leave a comment here or check out our Guidelines page if you have any questions.

17 comments:

Claudia said...

Thanks Simona, I'm looking forward to this one. I agree, it has all the important elements!

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

I loved this book. Can't wait to make and share the recipe I chose.

Simona Carini said...

You are welcome, Claudia. I hope you'll enjoy the book :)

So glad to read you liked the book, Wendy: I am looking forward to reading your post :)

Naomi (Angel Numbers) said...

The title of the books is indeed very intriguing! I have never read a book in which both murder mystery and good food are involved :D - Regards, Naomi

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

Good Morning Claudia, My post is live. Help yourself to any content. Thanks for hosting. https://adayinthelifeonthefarm.blogspot.com/2020/10/cinnamon-apple-scones-inspired-by.html

Simona Carini said...

I hope you'll enjoy reading the book, Naomi.

Thank you so much, Wendy :)

Claudia said...

I enjoyed this book! And my post is now up: https://honeyfromrock.blogspot.com/2020/10/peanut-butter-chocolate-scones-for.html

Simona Carini said...

Thank you so much, Claudia. Glad you enjoyed the book :)

Debra Eliotseats said...

Not a big mystery fan, but I did enjoy this book, Simona! My post is up now: http://eliotseats.com/2020/11/12/secret-book-scone/

Simona Carini said...

Thank you so much, debra. Glad you enjoyed the book :)

Amy said...

Great book! Thanks for hosting! Here's my Post for Muffin Tin Cinnamon Rolls: https://www.amyscookingadventures.com/2020/11/muffin-tin-cinnamon-rolls.html

Simona Carini said...

Thank you so much, Amy. I'm glad you enjoyed the book :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mine is up! I really enjoyed this one Simona and bought the other two in the series. ;-)

http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/2020/11/creamy-roasted-red-pepper-soup-with.html

Simona Carini said...

Wow, Deb! I am so glad you liked the book. I am also interested in reading the others in the series :)

Simona Carini said...

And here I come closing up the rear. Thank you so much everybody for your contribution. Mine is here:
https://www.pulcetta.com/2020/11/recipe-honeynut-squash-blue-cheese-walnut-bites.html

Harimc said...

Restarting my blog with a post for the Secret, Book & Scone Society. Been enjoying Cook the Books blog for awhile but first I'm getting around to submitting a post. Hope I'm doing it right as I get back into the groove of blogging. I'm a bit late but it's still Nov 30 here so hope I'm in time. http://sdartlaw.blogspot.com

Simona Carini said...

Welcome back to blogging! Glad you choose Cook the Books Club to share your return :)