Tuesday, December 6, 2022

December/January Selection: Miss Cecily's Recipes for Exceptional Ladies

Hello Friends, 

I am hoping December finds you all well, and ready for another round of Cook the Books. I went through my TBR, both e-books and print, and felt myself called to Miss Cecily's Recipes for Exceptional Ladies by Vicky Zimmerman (June 9, 2020) for our December/January selection


From the Publisher: 

An unlikely friendship between two stubborn, lonely souls anchors this big-hearted book and dares us all to ask for more. 

When her life falls apart on the eve of her 40th birthday, Kate Parker finds herself volunteering at the Lauderdale House for Exceptional Ladies. There she meets 97-year-old Cecily Finn. Cecily's tongue is as sharp as her mind, but she's fed up with pretty much everything. 

Having no patience for Kate's choices in life or love, Cecily prescribes her a self-help book...of sorts. Thought for Food: an unintentionally funny 1950s cookbook high on enthusiasm, featuring menus for anything life can throw at the "easily dismayed," such as: 

  • Breakfast with a Hangover 

  • Tea for a Crotchety Aunt 

  • Dinner for a Charming Stranger

As she and Cecily break out of their ruts, Kate will learn far more than recipes. 

I like my books light and a bit heartwarming this time of year, and this one seemed like a good pick plus, I have owned the Kindle copy for a couple of years now, so it's high time to read it! And finally, who can resist a blurb like: 


Since our virtual foodie book club is full of exceptional ladies, I look forward to seeing what marvelous dishes this novel inspires us to make!

Deb, 

Kahakai Kitchen

Deadline for contributing your post: Tuesday, January 31, 2023.

11 comments:

Simona Carini said...

I got it from the library and finished it quickly :) Thank you for your selection and for hosting, Deb.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I just heard about this book from one of your book club members over at A Day in the Life on the Farm and I screamed! THIS WILL BE A PERFECT, LIGHT, EASY BOOK TO FINISH OUT MY READING YEAR!

I've already downloaded the Kindle from the library and can't wait to start reading it!!!

I'm not feeling very creative right now and I'm lucky if I remember to toss a Lean Cuisine in the microwave when I suddenly find myself starving around 8pm, but if I do get inspired to cook something after reading this book I will be sure to share it with all-a-ya'll!

Amy said...

Thanks for hosting! Here is my post: https://www.amyscookingadventures.com/2023/01/potato-pave-with-rosemary.html

Debra Eliotseats said...

Finished the book before Christmas and loved it! Working on a post now.

Debra Eliotseats said...

Just posted: http://eliotseats.com/2023/01/19/miss-cecilys-recipes-for-exceptional-ladies-ctb/

Thanks, Deb!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

A lovely book for the start of a new year. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/5218861301

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thank you Debra! Glad you enjoyed it!

Hi Deb, will you be posting a dish for the round up?

Simona Carini said...

Here's my contribution: https://www.pulcetta.com/2023/01/recipe-avocado-salad.html

Thank you, Deb, for hosting!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thank you Simona!

Claudia said...

About as close to the wire as I've been, but the post is up at last. It did hit the spot for a currently cantankerous old lady. http://honeyfromrock.blogspot.com/2023/01/we-at-cook-books-club-have-been-reading.html

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Sounds like. an interesting read between the two ladies.