Friday, August 5, 2022

August/September Selection: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

When the CTB hosts were trying to choose the next four books last winter, I was at a loss.   As I read book reviews and peruse through bookstores, I see lots of books that I want to recommend for Cook the Books.  Then, when I'm on the spot and it's down to the wire, I can't think of anything.   

In October 2021, I was able to see original illustrations from the Dali edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland at our local art museum.   (In 1969, Dali illustrated this beloved children's book with colorful, playful surrealistic images.) 



I grabbed a copy of this edition at the exhibit and set about reading it.  (It dawned on me that I had never read the entire tale of Alice, the White Rabbit, the Mad Hatter, et al.)  I enjoyed my afternoon reading with a cup of tea at hand.

It's been a while since CTB has hosted a children's book or YA book.   (In 2012, we read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, in 2013 it was The Hunger Games, and in 2017 we selected Farmer Boy.)  It was time for another one.

Pick up any edition you want of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.  

The surrealism one or the classic.

The deadline for contributing your post is Friday, September 30, 2022.

Leave a comment below with a link to your post and/or email me at eliotseats@gmail.com.

Anyone can participate in Cook the Books: just pick up a copy of the selection from your local bookstore or library, take inspiration from your reading, then cook and post the inspired dish.   If after you read you need more inspiration, check out this Alice in Wonderland Party.

We look forward to having you read and cook along.  New participants are always welcome. (Leave a comment here or check out our Guidelines page if you have any questions.

Thanks for going down this rabbit hole with me.

Debra
Eliot's Eats


8 comments:

Claudia said...

A great pic Debra. I'm looking forward to reading through my special edition illustrated by Angel Dominguez!

Debra Eliotseats said...

Looking that one up, Claudia!

Amy said...

Thanks for the inspiration! Here's my post: https://www.amyscookingadventures.com/2022/08/bread-and-butterfly.html

Claudia said...

My post is now up. Still don't know if I hadn't ever read this before, or just forgot it all? http://honeyfromrock.blogspot.com/2022/09/fairy-cakes-for-mad-hatters-tea-party.html

Tina said...

THAT was a trip! So I made something with mushrooms :-) Here's my link.

http://tinaculbertson.blogspot.com/2022/09/alice-in-wonderland-cookthebooks.html

Tina

Marg said...

Thanks for choosing this book!

Here's my post:

http://www.theintrepidreader.com/2022/09/weekend-cookingcook-books-alice-in.html

Simona Carini said...

Always fun to follow Alice's adventures. Thank you for hosting, Debra. Here's my contribution: https://www.pulcetta.com/2022/09/recipe-brown-butter-oatmeal-raisin-cookies.html

Deb in Hawaii said...

Sliding in at the last second--it's still 9/30 here! ;-) http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/2022/09/very-mock-turtle-creamy-rice-soup-with.html

Thanks, Debra for a fun pick!