Thursday, August 13, 2015

Join us for our August/September Book Pick: Yes, Chef, by Marcus Samuelsson

I am pleased to officially announce our August/September Cook the Books reading selection: 

Yes, Chef, by Marcus Samuelsson. 




You may know Chef Marcus Samuelsson from hearing about his New York restaurant Red Rooster or his time as head chef at Aquavit or from appearances on Top Chef and Iron Chef, but I found the story of his youth tremendously interesting in his memoir, Yes, Chef. Marcus was born in rural Ethiopia and when he and his mother and older sister contracted tuberculosis in a 1973 epidemic, his mother walked 75 miles with her children to a hospital in the capital city of Addis Ababa, where she unfortunately succumbed to the disease. Marcus and his sister were adopted by a Swedish family, where he squeezed in Saturday cooking lessons with his grandmother, Helga, when he wasn't on the soccer field. A sports career didn't pan out, so he poured his extensive energies into cooking school and various apprenticeships at world-class hotels and restaurants around Europe.
Samuelsson is passionate about "chasing flavors", and experimenting with ingredients and cuisines from around the globe, and I learned a lot about layering taste and texture in dishes from this book. I hope you all will enjoy it as much as I did.

As always, we welcome anyone to join our band of regulars in reading this great foodie book, blogging about it and cooking up something inspired from its pages. Just let me know that you have posted by our deadline below either by leaving a comment here or by sending me an email at: info@oldsaratogabooks dot coM. 
 
Submissions due: Wednesday, September 30, 2015

-Rachel, The Crispy Cook

15 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you for hosting, Rachel! Here's my submission: Classic French Croissants! http://www.amyscookingadventures.com/2015/08/classic-french-croissants.html

Deb in Hawaii said...

I have the book and I am hoping to get it read on the plane to Portland next week. ;-)

Terri Steffes said...

Just finished this book! I am a newbie, what do you need from me to know that I will be participating? Thanks!

Rachel said...

Thanks for the submission, Amy. Deb, looking forward to yours as well.

And welcome Terri! So glad you want to join us this round for Cook the Books. You already completed the first thing you needed to do which is to have read our featured book, so that's the lengthiest part. Now you just need to come up with a post that discusses the book (as simple as what you liked/disliked, a favorite quote, commentary, whatever you like) and which features a dish that you have made which was inspired by your reading. You can check out what others have done in the previous bimonthly roundup posts, such as the Wedding Bees roundup which is the Cook the Books post just prior to this one. Then just let me know that you have posted by our deadline of Sept. 30 by leaving a comment here at Cook the Books or by shooting me an email at: oldsaratogabooks AT gmaildot com.

Looking forward to your Yes, Chef post! -Rachel

Simona Carini said...

Here's my contribution: http://www.pulcetta.com/2015/09/recipe-kokoda-fish.html
Thanks for hosting, Rachel

Claudia said...

I've got the book, now looking forward to reading it and cooking something up!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I loved this book so much - I actually made my dish in July! Now I have to write about it.

Claudia said...

My post is up: http://www.honeyfromrock.blogspot.com/2015/09/pork-mofongo-yes-chef.html
Thanks for hosting Rachel, I enjoyed the selection.

Unknown said...

We were just introduced to Ethiopian cuisine this past July and I fell in love with the vegetarian goodies. Working on a post now after tracking down the ingredients. Loved the book, Rachel! (Of course, mine won't post until the last possible minute!)

Alicia Foodycat said...

http://foodycat.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/yes-chef-doro-wat-and-injera.html here's mine!

Debra Eliotseats said...

Mine will post on the 30th (of course): http://eliotseats.com/2015/09/30/ethiopian-cuisine-for-ctb/

Thanks, Rachel! Great pick. Enjoyed it greatly!

Terri Steffes said...

My post goes live tomorrow! Here's my link: http://www.terristeffes.com/2015/09/cook-books-club.html

Rachel said...

Looking forward to reading all these posts. Glad to have you join us for the first time, Terri! Hope you had fun.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Coming in close to the wire as usual. :-)

Here is my post: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/2015/09/thats-good-life-smorga-swedish-smoked.html

Thanks for a great pick Rachel!

Betty said...

Just finished reading this book this week. Enjoyed it so much! Have seen Marcus Samuelsson multiple times on Food Network, he comes across as a really humble but talented man. Love his idea of "chasing the flavors." Love it that he believes in hard work to attain his dreams and that now, having reached his level of success he is trying to give back to his community. Excellent read!