Monday, February 9, 2015

Our February/March Cook the Books Selection: Comfort Me With Apples by Ruth Reichl

I have long admired Ruth Reichl--her writing, her work with the sorely missed Gourmet magazine, her PBS show Diary of a Foodie, and her guest appearances judging on Top Chef Masters. Besides being an excellent storyteller, she also just seems like a fun person to enjoy a meal or a drink with. So when longtime Cook The Books participant Claudia of Honey From Rock requested that we read a Ruth Reichl book, I jumped at the chance to host. As much as I enjoyed her foray into foodie fiction last year with the novel Delicious!, I was in a memoir-ish frame of mind and picked Reichl's 2001 memoir Comfort Me With Apples: More Adventures at the Table as our February/March 2015 reading selection.


Comfort Me With Apples tells of Reichl's journey from chef to restaurant critic and food writer from 1978 through the late 1980s. Although Comfort Me With Apples picks up right after her first book, Tender at the Bone ends, it isn't necessary to have read that book first--although it is also a fabulous read. 

Whether this is a reread, or a new-to-you book, I look forward to seeing what this funny and often moving memoir inspires you to create. There are multiple recipes in the book and a plethora of Ruth Reichl recipes online and in her other books, so there should be no shortage of wonderful dishes to be inspired by!

Submissions for this round of Cook The Books are due Monday, March 30, 2015. Anyone can join in the Cook the Books fun by reading and blogging about the book and cooking up a dish inspired by its contents. Let me know when your entry post is up by commenting on this post and/or sending me an email at: debinhawaii@gmail.com.

New to Cook the Books? Check out our About and Guidelines pages or leave a question in the comments on this post. 


Deb at Kahakai Kitchen 

24 comments:

Amy said...

This was an amazing book choice! This was a new to me author and I couldn't believe how intensely it impacted me! I have to let everything sink in before I start cooking!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Hey Amy, I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! Can't wait to see what you cook up. ;-)

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

I picked up this book and didn't put it down until I finished it Great selection Deb. Thanks so much. I've narrowed my choices down to 3

Delaware Girl Eats said...

I can't wait -- have already read the book and decided on my recipe. Won't spoil the surprise by telling just yet. Ruth's writing is so evocative. I usually get my books from the library but ordered a used paperback copy on Amazon so I can highlight passages.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Wendy--you are further along than I am. I can't narrow down what to make. ;-) So glad you enjoyed it.

Cathy--Can't wait to see what you came up with. Evocative is a great word to describe Reichl's writing--whether she is describing food or personal experiences, you can't help but feel. ;-)

Claudia said...

I read the book ages ago, and now must retrieve it for a re-read, from my granddaughter who says she loved it.

Debra Eliotseats said...

Can't wait to re-read this one. For some reason I could find all of her books in my library except this one. Had to re-order a used copy.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Claudia--Thanks for the suggestion and inspiration for a Ruth Reichl book! ;-)

Debra--I was convinced I had a copy too but realized I gave it to a friend to read and never got it back. Thank goodness for used books. ;-)

Camilla M. Mann said...

Deb, just emailed you.

Unknown said...

Well, I saw the link on Culinary Cam's blog and since I loved all 3 of Ruth Reichl's books and her writing for Gourmet, I thought I might grab the button and give it a try. I have to re-read this one, but I know for sure that I will not make her mother's recipe for her brother's wedding reception. Those of you who know her writing well understand what I am referring to. I will contact you when I decide on my dish. I am loving your "novel" selections, many of which I have read, and many of which are on my "must read" list.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thanks Camilla--got it and loved your post and soup! ;-)

Hi Amy--so happy to have you join us. I look forward to seeing what you make--and yes, I recommend staying away from most of her mother's food/recipes entirely! ;-)

Amy said...

Thank you for such an amazing book choice! Here is my submission, French Onion Soup! http://www.amyscookingadventures.com/2015/02/french-onion-soup-twist-on-classic.html

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thanks Amy! I am glad you enjoyed it! ;-)

Claudia said...

I'm early this time, enjoyed the re-read, and my post is up: http://honeyfromrock.blogspot.com/2015/03/swiss-pumpkin-for-cook-books-club.html

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thanks Claudia! I need to get in gear myself. ;-)

Simona Carini said...

My post is up: http://www.pulcetta.com/2015/03/cecamariti-handmade-pasta.html
Thanks Deb!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thanks Simona! I always love your homemade pasta. ;-)

Debra Eliotseats said...

Mine is up: http://eliotseats.com/?p=21004

Thanks, Deb!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thanks Debra! ;-)

Alicia Foodycat said...

http://foodycat.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/comfort-me-with-apples-garlic-soup-and.html Great book!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thanks Alicia! ;-)

Rachel said...

Mine's up! http://wheat-free-meat-free.blogspot.com/2015/03/comfort-me-with-carrots.html

Deb in Hawaii said...

Awesome Rachel! ;-)

Deb in Hawaii said...

And my post is up! ;-)

http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/2015/03/ruth-reichls-very-comforting-sunny.html